Proposed Iziko Centre
Proposed to be in Nelson Mandela Park, a settlement in Mthatha, King Sabata Dalindyebo local municipality in the Eastern Cape. The local community has donated a 200 metres by 120 piece of land upon which the Iziko Centre will be built.
The APEA Iziko centre is a multi-purpose centre which with two main components - a community playground for children from 0 to 16 years old, which will be opened to children in the community, especially those accompanying their parents to attend parenting programmes and preschools in the neighbourhood which nave no playground infrastructure and do not understand the role of play in the development of children. It will also have a parenting empowerment centre, with session rooms and a community hall to host our parenting programmes aimed at equipping parents, caregivers, teachers, families and communities with skills necessary to build nurturing environments for children at home, in school and in the community. It will also host pre-teen and teen programmes on positive character building and leadership.
Renderings for Proposed Iziko Centre
Impact of Proposed Iziko Centre
- 2400 parents will improve their parenting skills and relationships with children by 2020
- 2100 teachers will completely end the use of corporal punishment by 2020
- 21600 children will have access to playgrounds & develop more skills of empathy by 2020
- 1200 fathers will be more present in their children’s lives by 2020
- 110 adolescent mothers will return to school by 2020
- Significant reduction in crime
- Improved early childhood